During my first years of teaching, I taught language development and used a wonderful language development kit supplied by the school. Here are some of the main things I used in this class:
- Puppets! Children will sometimes respond to a puppet when they will not respond to an adult.
- Songs! Most children will relax and open up to fun songs and learn things effortlessly because they are having fun.
- Hands-on materials! In teaching shapes, for example, the children can experience what a circle and square feel like.
- Games! Using simple games is a great way to practice skills that might become too repetitive otherwise.
- Stories! Simple stories can help to teach concepts.
These are all things that help to make the learning experience fun and rewarding, something that this Early Childhood class looked forward to experiencing.