Credit: Free pictures from acobox.com
The Constitution begins with three famous words, “We the people,” and was signed on September 17, 1787 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was signed by the Founding Fathers and because of the Constitution, we enjoy many of the rights and freedoms we have today. Here are some interesting facts:
- The first national Thanksgiving Day was originally created by George Washington to give thanks for the Constitution.
- The U.S. Constitution is the oldest and shortest of all the national constitutions.
- Benjamin Franklin was the oldest delegate. He was 81 years old at the time.
- When Pearl Harbor was bombed, the Constitution was moved to Fort Knox for safekeeping. Now it is at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
- There have been 27 amendments to the Constitution out of the more than 11,000 that have been introduced in Congress.
Free Online Game: